Hunting with eagles is a traditional form of falconry found throughout the Eurasian Steppe, practiced by ancient Turkic peoples. Today it can be seen in contemporary Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
In the 13th century, Genghis Khan’s army seized the Kyrgyz nomad’s territory. Under Mongol rule, the Kyrgyz preserved their nomadic culture as well as eagle falconry traditions. But archaeologists trace back falconry in Central Asia to the first or second millennium BC.
The name of the golden eagle in Kyrgyz is “berkut” and the hunters are called “berkutchy”. They are the most dedicated keepers of the nomadic tradition.
Berkutchies have always been highly respected among the Kyrgyz and hunting was an important part of the nomadic life since it provided food and fur for a whole village during the harsh winters.
Berkut is not just a regular bird for hunters. It is a family member. The bird and its master have a special intimate connection and it helps them to go hunting and understand each other.
Now it is possible to meet a real berkutchy and his bird, watch a hunting show, and know more about these graceful birds. After the demonstration, you can take a closer look at the Bird and even hold it in your hands!
Upon request we offer 2 types of demonstration:
- hunt on a rabbit (alive)
- hunt on a fox skin (artificial)
Contact managers for booking (contact form is above). The prices start from 100 USD per group.
- Production of huge carpets In Bokonbaevo
- Randonnées équestre
- Horseback riding games (Son-Kul)
- Déjeuners et dîners chez l’habitant
- Excursion d’une demi-journée à la gorge d’Ala Archa
- Excursion d’une demi-journée à la ferme des chevaux
- Visite du camp de base Karkara
- Master class de cuisine
- Voyage en raft
- Mouton à la broche
- Promenade en bateau au lac Issyk Kul
- Démonstration de montage d’une yurte au lac Song Kul
- Vol en hélicoptère vers le camp de base d’Enylchek sud, au pied du pic Khan Tengri
- Démonstration de traditions par les gens de la vallée d’Alaï
- Démonstration de fabrication du feutrage au village de Kochkor
- Golden eagle hunting show in Jety Oguz
- Jeux équestre près de la Tour Bourana
- Chasse à l’aigle au village de Bokonbaevo
- Soirée de la musique traditionnelle à Bishkek