Hunting with eagles is a traditional form of falconry found throughout the Eurasian Steppe, practiced by ancient Turkic peoples. Today it can be seen in contemporary Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
In the 13th century, Genghis Khan’s army seized the Kyrgyz nomad’s territory. Under Mongol rule, the Kyrgyz preserved their nomadic culture as well as eagle falconry traditions. But archaeologists trace back falconry in Central Asia to the first or second millennium BC.
The name of the golden eagle in Kyrgyz is “berkut” and the hunters are called “berkutchy”. They are the most dedicated keepers of the nomadic tradition.
Berkutchies have always been highly respected among the Kyrgyz and hunting was an important part of the nomadic life since it provided food and fur for a whole village during the harsh winters.
Berkut is not just a regular bird for hunters. It is a family member. The bird and its master have a special intimate connection and it helps them to go hunting and understand each other.
Now it is possible to meet a real berkutchy and his bird, watch a hunting show, and know more about these graceful birds. After the demonstration, you can take a closer look at the Bird and even hold it in your hands!
Upon request we offer 2 types of demonstration:
- hunt on a rabbit (alive)
- hunt on a fox skin (artificial)
Contact managers for booking (contact form is above). The prices start from 100 USD per group.
- Bread Baking
- Bread Baking in Osh
- Production of huge carpets In Bokonbaevo
- Horse riding tours
- Horseback riding games in Sary-Mongol
- Horseback riding games (Son-Kul)
- Horseback riding games in Reyna-Kench
- Panoramic jeep tour around the walnut forest in Arslanbob
- Kyrgyz lesson and visit to Bilimkana school in Chon Kemin
- Lunches and dinners in local families
- Half day trip to Ala Archa gorge
- Half day trip to a horse farm
- Visiting Karkara base camp
- Golden eagle hunting show in Balykchy
- Lamb on a skewer
- Boat cruise at Issyk Kul Lake
- Yurt setting up show at Son Kul Lake
- Helicopter flight to South Enylchek Base Camp at the foot of Khan Tengri peak
- Demonstration of traditions with Babushki in Alay valley
- Yak show near Tulpar Kol Lake
- Excursion to the interactive shepherd museum in the Kyzyl – Tash agro farm
- Felt production demonstration in Kochkor village
- Master class on cooking in Arslanbob
- Golden eagle hunting show in Jety Oguz
- National horseback riding games in Burana
- Uzbek folk music in Arslanbob
- Soap making workshop in Tasma village
- Workshop on drawing felt on a silk scarf
- Golden eagle hunting show in Bokonbaevo village
- Workshop on making Elechek
- Folklore musical show during dinner in Bishkek city
- The Burana Tower
- Workshop on making a small small rug
- Golden eagle hunting show in Kochkor
- Petroglyphs in Cholpon-Аta
- Uighur lagman making in Karakol
- Rukh Ordo
- Excursion to the interactive shepherd museum in the Kyzyl – Tash agro-farm + lunch
- Prjevalskii Memoria
- Dungan mosque
- Office visit “One village one product”
- Felt production demonstration in Tamchy village
- Felt workshop in Kyzyl-Tash agro-farm
- Dungan lagman making in Karakol